When Michigan became a state in 1837, a farming community, which is now Roseville, was made part of Orange Township. Because of strong Irish sentiment, the township's name was changed to Erin in 1843.
In 1836, William Rose was appointed the areas first postmaster. He established a permanent office in 1840, called the Roseville Post Office, after his father Denison Rose, a hero of the War of 1812.
In 1846, a wooden plank tollroad (now known as Gratiot Avenue or M-3) was constructed, connecting the community with Detroit and Mount Clemens. One of the tollgates was located at Gratiot Avenue and Utica Road. The tollgate sign giving "Rates of Toll" now hangs in the Library.
In 1886, the Erin Township Hall was built at the corner of Gratiot Avenue and 11 Mile Road and was the Town Hall for the present cities of Eastpointe, Roseville, St.Clair Shores and part of Fraser. In 1926, Roseville was incorporated as a village. The old Roseville Municipal Building was constructed in 1929, at Gratiot Avenue and Meier Road. Both the village and township offices were moved into the building. In 1958, the village became the City of Roseville and Arthur Waterman was elected the first mayor. The present municipal building was built in 1974.